Monday, March 22, 2010

Sitting on a Mayflower

I always look forward to walking in the woods with my sweet Sis. Friday we found May Flowers, Johnny Jump Ups and Trilliums carpeting the ground. There was magic in the forest that day . . . and more spring flowers than either of us remember seeing before.
.
The picture above is the first really good picture I've ever been able to take of a May Flower. They are VERY illusive.

One of the breathtaking moments of our walk included this little moth sitting atop a purple May Flower.
And there was a baby Trillium peeking out from beneath her Mama.

One couldn't miss the Skunk Cabbage we found growing down by the Crick. When their leaves are submerged in water they turn silvery. They are beautiful to look at, but there's a reason they're called "skunk" cabbage!!!
Above you see a Johnny Jump up. I didn't realize until later there was a cute little bug perusing his world from a bright petal.
.
It isn't spring for me until I've seen one of these sunny yellow wood violets. This year has been a banner year for violets. I've seen pink, white, purple and now bright yellow!
.
It was hard to leave the forest that day. Neither of us wanted to go back home . . .

So when the hustle and bustle of just living gets me down--I'll just slip back into the magical forests of our childhood, walking among the flowers and fern with my Sweet Sis.

8 comments:

Clytie said...

Sigh. Beautiful. My may flower pictures didn't turn out at all. You bum! Nor did my yellow wood violets, aka Johnny Jump-ups. I will have to enjoy yours even more!

PS Love the little bug - probably a mosquito?

Lucy said...

What a great group of photos! Beth I want to thank you for being so encouraging to me. It as though you sense when I am about to throw in the towel. All I can say is thank you so much. I would never hurt anyone on purpose. I know politics is a touchy thing and I try to not say to much. I truly thought the one person that I am sure is offended by my comments about republicans, would not be this time, because I felt very torn about the name calling and so forth be them democrats or republicans..

Anonymous said...

Nice photos. I like all of them. They remind me so much of spring and summer.

Here, where we live, in the spring, and early summer, the understory of all the woods or forests are filled with pink to purple blooms of red bud trees. They are spread my seeds and now and then we get one in the wrong place in our yard.

They are next to impossible to transplant.

I will walk in some woods this summer. I will try to walk a lot. I hope it warms up so I can begin.

Wendy said...

I love all your spring flowers! Johnny jump-ups are one of my favourites! I plant them in my gardens each spring. Your little baby trillium is so cute, playing peek-a-boo. I didn't know those gorgeous flowers are called skunk cabbage??? Yuk. Sounds gross!

That last pic was pure genius. Both of you in shadow-form.
Nice day!

James said...

Great nature shots. It really looks like Spring. For some reason I can picture a band being called the Johnny Jump-ups. :)

Cedar ... said...

Beautiful photos! I'll be so glad when spring weather gets this far north and those lovely wildflowers show up here too!

Unknown said...

I love nature photos and yours are fantastic!
Thanks for your visit and I'm glad you liked my Mandalay reflection shot! :-)

Lois said...

I wish I could have gone with you!