Tuesday, June 8, 2010

EEEEeeeeeeeeek! It's Yellow! It's Alive!

Yesterday, walking along the abandoned mega church roadway, I spotted a blossom on the Scotch Broom.  I've always loved them--I think they look like little yellow birds.  It was one of the last, so I snapped its picture.  I was intrigued--looking at the photo--to see a fringe of what looked like whiskers coming from beneath the flower petals.  I hadn't remembered this to be true of Scotch Broom flowers...

A closeup revealed something quite unexpected--a YELLOW spider!  EEEeeeeek!

 Scary, isn't it???  I think he was looking right into the camera!

11 comments:

Lois said...

Wow! That is a pretty spider.

Sheri said...

...scary, yes but awesome! unless you had decided to take a close look then i would have thought the same as you, just an odd blossom with fringes! i've never seen a yellow spider, a yellow that matches so perfectly with the scotch broom that it makes you wonder if he was created just to keep watch over them! this was extraordinary beth, and i'm sure glad that you slowed your walk down enough that you caught this tiny treasure!!

Cedar ... said...

a banana spider? but I think you are too far north for those,.. certainly the unexpected!

Anonymous said...

I know you want me to comment on the yellow spider but if the flower were white the spider would be too. I know you knew that already. It is true.

In reply to your comment, I wrote...

√ Reply to Beth...
You are a gushing beauty, Be...

Leaving a sincere comments?

Anonymous said...

Well some do. I think this might be one of them.

Al said...

I think it might change colors like a chameleon. But I don't know much about spiders.

Deann said...

Oh that is such a cool picture...it really is a perfect camoflage for him. Good job Bea though I'm glad he wasn't a vicious brain sucking spider...he would have gotten you for sure. (tee hee) Love you.

Halcyon said...

Creeeepy!!!

Cheryl said...

Eeeekkkk indeed! I have seen a yellow spider, it was on a yellow blossom as well.

Catherine said...

As much as I dislike spiders, I'll admit this one is spectacular! That perfectly matched yellow color is so amazing!

Wendy said...

Along came a spider and sat down beside her! LOL! It was rather unexpected - but matched the flower (as catherine says).