Monday, May 31, 2010

Vetch and the Bumble Bee

I finally caught a Bumble Bee collecting pollen from wild vetch blossoms.  I've always loved Bumble Bees with their sunny laid back dispositions.  They are VERY good-natured--not minding too much that a large camera lens follows them along through the flowers! 

I've loved wild vetch since I was a child--to me they look like little birds.  There are many varieties of wild vetch.  Each is quite lovely when examined close up.  There is a mother-of-pearl quality about some types of vetch.

5 comments:

Clytie said...

Beautiful shot, sissie!

I too remember playing with the "bird" blossoms of the vetch. We would pluck one, then fly it through the air like the bird it resembled. It seems I could fly as well ...

Al said...

Great shot. That bee looks huge!

~Cheryl said...

Nice! I tried some bee shots but was not successful. They stay hidden and then suddenly fly right out at you. I didn't last long. :)

Sheri said...

wow, this is breath taking...such an incredible close up of both bee and flower. i don't think i've seen any vetch before...is it something regional?

Halcyon said...

He's a nice fat one! He almost looks cuddly.

Thank you for your comments on my blog. I also love Clytie's hearts blog. It is such fun seeing where she finds her hearts. She has the best eye. :)