Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ribbons of Birds

At the Baskett Slough Bird Sanctuary things get busy as the sun sets. It is spectacular to watch millions birds of flocking layer upon layer, all looking for places to settle for the night. I was stunned by the sheer number and variety of them.
.
One could wax poetical over the incredible beauty of ribbons of birds pressed against those vivid pink and purple skies. They massed overhead like a living archway. I was filled with awe. What I've captured here is only a tiny savor of what that real moment was like.

3 comments:

Clytie said...

I would love to go with you sometime to see this bird sanctuary! This picture is amazing; it's been a long time since I've seen this many birds in one place at one time!

Sharon Kugler said...

That must have been wonderful; the number of birds in that photo is overwhelming!

Anonymous said...

It's always a thrill for me to experience these waves of birds. The combined sounds and energy they give off effect my entire being in a very positive way.