Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring Has Sprung!

There are signs of spring in the forest. Mayflowers, Trilliums, violets and Johnny Jump Ups. It is heartening to see the delicate flowers of springtime peeking through the moss. My darling Sissy Clytie first spied this little beauty as we made our way down a woodsy hillside covered with fern and moss. This bright herald of spring is called a Johnny Jump Up.

I have often wondered where the name Johnny Jump Up came from. So far I've found a song about a strong drink called a Johnny Jump Up. I also discovered a reference to an ancient machine called a Johnny Jump Up, crafted in the late 1800's. So far, I haven't been able to find a desciption of what the machine was made to do.

If anyone out there knows the story behind this woodland flower's funny name, I'd LOVE to hear it!

No comments: